Did you know that during the holidays there are many dangers to your pets? Preventative measures can be used to keep your furry family members safe during the festive seasons.

Being aware of these four dangers can help you save a trip to your vet or the veterinary emergency room:

1. Holiday Tinsel and Ornaments

cat holiday treeTinsel is not toxic to pets, but can be very hazardous. Because of the reflectivity and sparkle of the tinsel it is very attractive to pets, especially cats. Once tinsel is consumed it can cause foreign body ingestion as it twists and bunches around your pets intestines. Foreign body ingestions usually require emergency veterinary care.

Holiday ornaments can also be hazardous to pets. Because of the reflectivity and colors of these attractive additions to holiday d├ęcor, pets becomes attracted to them and like to play with them. Glass, aluminum, and paper ornaments should be kept near the top of the tree. If pets get a hold of these objects and they break they can cause laceration to your pet's mouth, throat, stomach, and intestines, they can also create a choking hazard.

2. Holiday Lighting and Candles

Dangling, shiny, twinkling, lights create a hazard to your pets. Pets who chew on the electrical cords of lights are at risk of electrical shock, which can cause tongue lacerations and possible death.

Candles can be a hazard as well, if your pet tries to play with them and accidentally knocks them over. Besides the possible risk of a fire hazard, they can also easily burn your pet's paw pads if they try to bat at them and play with the flickering flame.

3. Gift Wrap Ribbon

Ribbon and bows can be hazardous to pets who may try to chew on them and play with them. Ribbons can cause a choking hazard and even twist around the intestines, leading to an emergency situation and in the worse case, even cause death.

4. Food Hazards

While it may be tempting to give your precious onlooker some scrumptious holiday goodies, it isn't always a good idea. Many popular holiday treats can be very toxic to pets. 

Chocolate contains various levels of fat, caffeine, and methylxanthines. The darker and richer the chocolate, the higher the risk of toxicity is to your pets. Chocolate ingestion can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, excessive urination, hyperactivity, heart arrhythmias, tremors, and even seizures.

Fat trimmings and bones can also be dangerous for your dogs and cats. Fats from meats can cause pancreatitis. Dogs and cats can choke on bones as well as splintering may occur and cause an obstruction or laceration to your dog or cats digestive system.

If you suspect your furry friend has gotten a hold of any one of these things, please give us a call at 717-957-3991.